The world’s young prince is turning two (2) years old on July 22nd, 2015! Happy Birthday to little Prince George! He is third in line to the British throne so celebrating his birthday is a big deal around the world. It’s going to be a family affair with grandparents Michael and Carole Middleton and aunt Pippa joining other close friends of his dad Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, and Kate.
Unlike his first birthday at Kensington Palace in London, this year he will celebrate in a countryside setting at the new family home of Anmer Hall on his great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth II’s Sandringham estate in the east of England.
Prince George Turns 2
Mini Treacle Tarts Recipe
According to People.com Mini Treacle Tarts is a British dessert loved by the Royals as a family. Carolyn Robb a chef who cooked for the royal family for 11 years says the traditional British dessert was a favorite of Prince Harry and Prince William‘s when they were younger.
So in honor of Prince George’s birthday have a Mini Treacle Tart….
Carolyn Robb’s Treacle Tarts
Makes: 20 tarts
1 ¼ cups golden or maple syrup
3 cups fresh white breadcrumb
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp. double cream
2 ½ (14 oz.) boxes store-bought pastry dough
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Warm the syrup in a small heavy-based saucepan; do not let it boil. Remove from the heat, add the breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Leave it to sit so that the crumbs absorb the syrup and swell.
3. Roll the pastry dough out on a lightly-floured surface to a 1⁄8-inch thickness. Cut out circles to line tartlet molds or a muffin pan and press the pastry down well into each mold. Chill for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in lemon juice and cream to syrup and breadcrumb mixture. Place a little filling in each tartlet.
5. Decorate the top of each tart with small pastry shapes or a lattice of pastry strips with the extra pastry dough.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, brushing top of tartlet with melted butter after 15 minutes. Cool in the molds for 10 minutes on a wire rack lined baking pan before removing. Serve warm with whipped cream, custard or ice cream.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 22 minutes